Monday, May 2, 2011

Honey Bread

Yesterday I finally did it. I made homemade honey bread!


This is the recipe I used
  • 1 C. milk
  • 1/4 C. honey
  • 1/4 oz. active dry yeast (2 1/2 tsp., 1 package)
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 C.) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 4 C. flour
  • 2 tsp. salt

How to make it

  • In a small saucepan, heat milk with honey, stirring, over low heat until just lukewarm. (It should be warm, but not be uncomfortable to keep your finger in the milk.)
  • Remove pan from heat. Stir in yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  • Add butter and yolks, whisking until combined well.
  • Transfer milk mixture to bowl.
  • Gradually add flour and salt, stirring until incorporated. Knead 10-15 minutes.
  • Transfer to lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat with oil.
  • Let dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, until doubled in bulk (2 hours in warm place, or overnight in refrigerator).
  • Punch down dough, place in loaf pan, and let rise until doubled in bulk.
  • Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes.
It turned out delicious. Ben and I had breakfast for dinner and this bread went perfectly with in. Speaking of perfectly I made some honey butter to go with this bread and it was delightful. Now I'm not an expert at honey butter as I just take a little unsalted butter and scoop some honey on top and microwave for 30 seconds and stir. I then refrigerate and its spreadable in as little and 30 minutes. Yum.

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Mmmmm....homemade bread is the BEST! Good work. :-)