Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Campus Devotional

Today I had the opportunity to hear Pres. Thomas Monson of the First Presidency of the Mormon Church speak at my university. He had four main actions he encouraged us to take: glance backward, look heavenward, reach outward, and press onward. The glance backward refers to that fact that with Thanksgiving coming up we should all be thankful for the love of family, the opportunities we have realized and a multiplicity of things we have to be thankful for in our lives. Next we should be looking heavenward in asking for the blessing of our Heavenly Father and invite him into each of our lives. His third thought was that we can't do it alone. We can't get through life on our own and we can't get through each day without the help of others, we need to learn how to ask for help and reach out to others. Lastly he told us not to give up hope but to press onward in our trials, our journeys and our goals.

Overall I really enjoyed the speech he gave. President Monson is a funny man and he described how he met his wife and the first time he met her parents. It reminded me of the first time I met my husband's parents, like President Monson, I met my in-laws on my first day with my spouse. When I walked in the door his parents already knew who I was and who my parents were. My husband actually tricked me into a first date with him. We saw each other at a church institute for young single adults but we didn't met until a New Year's Eve party a few days later. My husband asked if he could drive my car when he knew it was packed in the driveway with no way of moving so he said I should come to his work the next day. So I did then after he drove my car he asked if I wanted to get something to eat, then wanted to show me some pictures from his mission so we went to his parents house. Craziness.

Well that's all for now. Have a lovely day.

No comments: